Solar power is the new-gen source of energy. With the continuous rise in depletion of natural resources such as coal, we will be getting electricity only through natural means such as the sun in the coming years. However, we would not want to go back into the era of cavemen, where you could get light and electricity only when the sun is up!
As a result, in addition to solar panels that provide real-time energy, we also require a storage device that allows us to store energy that we can use when the sun is not up. Here, solar battery storage comes to the rescue!
According to the size and requirements of your house, you can easily get a home solar battery storage for yourself. This will help you store the sunlight in the day and then use it at night. It has been observed that every one out of four households in Australia who have installed solar panels has installed a storage battery with it as well.
Why do some solar power systems include a battery?
Australia lies near the equator, with the Tropic of Capricorn passing through it. Due to its geographical location, it is prone to receive a large amount of sunlight. It is evident that one household cannot use all of the sunlight received during the daytime right then and there. Therefore, it is a smart option to store the excessive heat that the panels absorb, so that they can be used for generating electricity when there is no sunlight.
Some solar power systems make the task easier for you, as they come with a solar battery system. These batteries allow you to store the surplus sunlight for future use; this is highly beneficial in the following ways:
- The days when you see no scope of sunshine in the sky, you can still utilise solar energy from the battery.
- It works as an inverter; in cases of a power outage, it provides electricity to the household.
- A backup is always a good option. You never know when electricity can ditch you. In such cases, you can use the stored power.
Having a home solar battery storage is a cost-effective option. If you feel that you are doing some task which will require more electricity that may result in higher bills, you can use battery power instead.
The best options for buying battery storage
Today, many companies have come out with battery options that you can use in different spheres, such as industry, household, public amenities etc. These batteries come in many sizes, based on the usage of the person buying it. We shall now read about some of the best manufacturers that provide battery storage in Australia,
- Tesla: Tesla has a highly effective option in solar batteries. It is compatible to fit into any grid. The size of the Tesla Powerwall, which is one of the most famous batteries in Australia, is 14 kWh, and it comes with a warranty of 10 years.
- Huawei: It is another technology giant which provides solar battery storage for large households. The size of its battery starts from 5 kWH. It is modular and expandable and comes with a warranty of 10 years.
- LG Chem: LG comes with a solar battery, which has a capacity of 6.5 kWh. It can also be used in hybrid setups and comes with a modular expansion. LG is currently the largest solar battery provider in Australia, with a 50% part in the total solar market of Australia.
- Sonnen Hybrid: It is the best battery system in Australia in terms of hybrid systems. It comes with an inverter as well as a battery storage. It comes in many sizes, ranging up to 15 kWh. It comes with a 10 year warranty.
For how long does energy stay stored in the battery?
Generally, all good companies provide a warranty of up to 10 years with the batteries. Some companies even offer a warranty of 30 years! This means that once purchased, your battery can last for a long time. In order to make sure that your batteries go on for a long time, you need to make sure that the temperature, usage and other factors of the battery are as advised by the company.
How often do solar panel batteries have to be replaced?
Every battery comes with a warranty. If anything happens to the battery during that period, the company is obligated to replace it for free. Generally, a battery needs to be replaced not more than once or twice during the lifespan of your solar panels. But how will you know that your battery needs replacing?
The following indicators can mean that it is about time you replace your solar batteries:
- The capacity of the battery has reduced so low that it is providing very little power as a backup. If the battery is unable to meet your requirements like before, it is time to change it.
- If there is any kind of system malfunction, or your battery fails, replacing it with a new one is the smart thing to do.
If you are planning on buying a new solar panel for your house, or if you already have one but without a battery, now is the time to buy a storage battery. In the coming years, the importance of solar battery storage will rise and will be just as common as solar panels. By getting a solar battery, you can help yourself in getting lower bills, as well as Australia in creating a sustainable system.
Many residents of Australia have been considering getting a solar power setup for their households. As of now, roughly 3 million households, that is 30% of the total households in Australia have a storage battery installed with their solar system. By getting a solar panel installed along with the storage battery, you are surely going to make a change. And this will affect not only yours but the lives of many others. Make sure you do it the right way!